Sunday, November 20, 2011
... and yesterday someone decided to buy him. He'd been attracting admirers for a couple of months. At every market he would be the pot that most people stopped at. My "beastly dishes" are not for everyone: they're quite expensive because of the work of sculpting the lizard then painting in slip before firing and finally painting the lustres and the extra cost of another firing. Also, I think people feel afraid to use them, although I always stress that they are made to be used.
By coincidence, yesterday I also unpacked a lustre firing in which were some new items inspired by this chap. I love the carmine lustre which I used for the spots and they just made such a hit with the other colours. It was the first time I'd used it, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off. Inspired by the beastly pot and the attention he'd attracted, therefore, I decided to use the same theme to decorate some other pots and just as the first chap went to a new home, I unpacked the first examples of the new "range". I say range in inverted commas because I'm not planning to make lots of the same things in this design. I'll make some as I feel like it but I also plan to experiment with different combinations of lustres and designs within the same sort of theme. But here are the first: