Saturday, September 12, 2009

Landscape


It's definitely turning to autumn here. The trees have just started to turn in the last few weeks. I've been out this afternoon photographing the landscape, which I haven't done for quite a while. To be honest, it doesn't really look all that much different from a month ago. There are fields where the crops have been harvested, some where they've been harrowed and some ploughed, but there are also those still with crops and today we saw some new lush green growth of something-or-other in a couple of fields.

Since we arrived in late April I've been wanting to represent the feeling of our local landscape in my artwork somehow. The first problem is that landscapes are usually best shown in, er, landscape format. My wallhangings really work best in portrait format. I played around with a few ideas for portrait-shaped landscapes and there certainly are some that worked but it just wasn't what I wanted to do at the time.

This is the clue, then, to how my work is developing - away from wallhangings! I'm not stopping wallhangings altogether, in fact I have two or three new ones on the go at the moment. As I mentioned in "Artists' Block", I'm not going back to mounted and framed pictures either. I wouldn't mind, but that still didn't answer what I'm looking for at the moment.

The new landscape pieces will be, for want of a better description, canvasses. That is, the fabric will be mounted straight over a framework and a solid backing added ready for hanging.

If this works out, they'll lbe at the next Beastly Art Exhibition next August. If not, they won't. At the moment I'm hopeful and will just leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment